I'm frequently asked questions about how to be happy again after a broken heart. Here are some ideas to help you move forward positively:
- Feel your emotions. Having a broken heart hurts because it comes from deep, intense sadness due to a major loss.
- Avoid alcohol or any other substance that will numb you and prevent you from feeling your emotions. Eating too much doesn't help either.
- Avoid jumping into another relationship to keep from feeling what's going on inside you.
- It's okay for your heart to hurt when you've experienced a loss, it's actually natural. All your emotions are a normal part of having a broken heart. The important thing is to not allow your sadness to consume you and prevent you from being the wonderful person you are. It's okay to be really sad at first, but after a week or so, try feeling your emotions for just five minutes a day and then filling the rest of your time with other activities. The idea is to gradually move past the sadness into happiness.
- Grieve your loss. You'll go in and out of several stages: denial and feeling alone; anger; wishing you could have changed things or done something differently; depression; and, finally, accepting the situation and moving on.
- Do positive things: exercise, talk with friends, go for a walk, take a class, read a book, sing, volunteer. Fill your time doing things that bring you happiness and don't involve the other person.
- Once a day, write a list of all the wonderful things about you.
- Each day, look in the mirror and say five things that are great about you.
- Spend time with positive friends and family without talking about the other person.
- See a therapist if you feel like you need additional support.
- Remember that you will initially be hurting but, by doing positive things, you will get past this.
Getting over a broken heart is not easy but, if you feel what's going on inside you and do positive things each day, you will eventually be able to move on and be happy again.
When you're truly ready to be happy, buy The Guide to Being Happy with Yourself for only $5.00.